The two-minute rule is a popular part of oral hygiene education, everyone has probably heard of it at some point in their lives. But is it true? Is two minutes the golden rule for teeth cleaning? Well, the truth is that it depends on whether you are brushing your teeth the right way. Your technique is definitely more important than the amount of time you spend brushing.
Overall, two minutes is a reasonable amount of time to spend brushing your teeth, but there a few things to make sure you are doing as well:
- Use a toothpaste with an ADA seal so you know its dentist approved.
- Use toothpaste with added fluoride.
- Hold your toothbrush at about a 45-degree angle to your gum line while brushing.
- While brushing your top teeth, start from the top of the tooth and work your way down.
- While brushing your bottom teeth, start from the bottom of your tooth and work up.
- Finally, don’t forget to brush your tongue or use a tongue scraper.
It’s also important to note that you should consider using an electric toothebrush, as they are more effective in removing plaque. They also generally have a timer on them so you know when your 2 minutes is up!
Talking with your dentist and hygienist about your brushing technique can be very helpful. They can also give you advice about an oral health routine that is specific to you and your lifestyle.